I have been reading a book Erin lent me, "These Is My Words". Its about a gal who lived in the late 1880s. Here she is in the wild west, and we read only her journal entries. After being proposed to, poorly, I might add, she confronts her mother. Her journal reflects this encounter with these words:
"I asked Mama, isn't there anything else about marraige I need to know? I can make a cake, and butcher a hog or chickens, and plant a garden, and drive a team. But it seems like there is something she should be saying about other things about men."
That was hilarious to me. For two reasons. One, can you imagine nowadays, if that is what a Bride-to-Be had to know? Too funny. And two, sex was just not something that they talked about, and barely did. Only to make babies, it sounds like. Here is this 19 year old girl, who had never been kissed good, and held hands with a boy twice basically, and she is about to be married and she comes to her Mom for some sound knowledge about sex...
Her journal entry continues:
"Mama just looked off at the hills, and said, Be sure to bathe regular and make him, too, if you can. And pray every day."
I hope I can do a better job.
Knowledge is such a blessing.
"I asked Mama, isn't there anything else about marraige I need to know? I can make a cake, and butcher a hog or chickens, and plant a garden, and drive a team. But it seems like there is something she should be saying about other things about men."
That was hilarious to me. For two reasons. One, can you imagine nowadays, if that is what a Bride-to-Be had to know? Too funny. And two, sex was just not something that they talked about, and barely did. Only to make babies, it sounds like. Here is this 19 year old girl, who had never been kissed good, and held hands with a boy twice basically, and she is about to be married and she comes to her Mom for some sound knowledge about sex...
Her journal entry continues:
"Mama just looked off at the hills, and said, Be sure to bathe regular and make him, too, if you can. And pray every day."
I hope I can do a better job.
Knowledge is such a blessing.
Comments
I am guessing you haven't finished it yet...