DO YOU BELIEVE?

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

The discussion of believing in fictional characters came up with the recent tooth loss my 5 year old experienced.
Weirdly enough, I didn't even teach Cate about the tooth fairy, but she knew that when you lost a tooth the fairy would come and bring you something, if you put it under your pillow. Where did she learn that?
What do you say as a mom, when you child asks you about such characters in life, like Santa?

Well, Kyle and I tell them. . .
WE BELIEVE!

What a great chance to experience the magic of something that isn't real, but the spirit of it is.
Why not, too? I was totally happy as a child to believe in these "people" and wasn't devastated when I discovered they weren't real. Instead, I was kinda excited to become these characters!

Also, it may seem a stretch to some, but faith starts with belief. How can you teach a child to believe in God if you can't see him? Why not believe in Santa then, to begin teaching faith. If you believe, look what can happen.
Doesn't the same work with God?
Like I said, you may find it a stretch, but it makes complete sense to me to say, "Better not pout, and see what Santa thinks of that" and "Be kind, say your prayers, and pay your tithing and see what God will do."

So, regardless of whether you have little kids at home or not, what do you plan to teach your kids and why?

Comments

The King's said…
I totally will teach my kids to believe in these Characters. I loved anticipating Santa coming and looking for my easter basket on Easter morning! I think it is part of childhood to have the joy of believing and like you said it is more about teaching your kids the spirit of these people than anything else. I just hope that I can help my kids see how these characters add to the spirit of each holiday. I want Easter and Christmas to be centered around Christ. For example at Christmas time I hope to be a secert Santa for someone each year so that my children can feel the joy of giving. That is what Santa is really all about anyway. Anywho I think that I am rambling now. I Believe!!!
Red Head Family said…
I don't want my children to feel they are too different from their friends who do believe so we play it up too. It's like you said it's fun for the children to be excited about them and then to eventually become them. It's all about giving to others isn't it!
brandy said…
I know that these characters don't exists. However, I do believe in them. My mom always said there in your heart. So I think you are right about the Christ thing and the fictional characters.I am so excited for the Holidays!
It's all about the magic of childhood. You gotta let them believe!
Camille said…
I am a believer. I love the magic of Santa, the tooth fairy, and the Easter Bunny. It's fun and we all need fun in our life's.
Becky said…
I really liked this post. I tell my kids the same thing about Santa. I don't go as far as telling them that he is a real person and that I believe in him persay, but that I do believe in the spirit and magic of Santa. So far it hasn't gotten any deeper than that. I love saying that I don't have all the answers when they want to know how he comes down a chimney that isn't there or how do raindeer fly. Having all the answers ruins the magic. I liked your tie in with beginning faith. I didn't think it was a stretch.
Gallant Family said…
I BELIEVE and I believe I'll let my kids do the same. I don't even remember when I "found out" that they were not real, so it doesn't leave a bad experience in my mind. Also, have your read the book "I believe" {at least I think that's what it's called} I have it if you want to borrow it. It's about the symbols of santa and the connection to Christ. Very cool. C'ya later. :0)
kari said…
It all started with the Polar Express in our house and yes... no matter what, for as long as we can, it's BELIEVE!!
basil812 said…
Hey Gina! I tagged you! Check out my blog to see what I mean!
Erin Ellsworth said…
It is fun to believe! I remember trying every year to stay up and see Santa or the Easter Bunny, but always falling asleep.
It is not something that makes you upset when you find out, because with age, you figure it out and it is fun to participate in sub for Santa activities with youth groups and school groups.