I have done some already, but tomorrow I am going to freeze a tiny bit more. It's my last chance. It's officially GONE. Dad is planning on starting our corn harvest tomorrow. It's one of my favorite times of year on the farm. I guess it's just because I have fond memories of corn season.
I was telling Kyle the other night when we froze some together (our first time) about my memories of "helping" freeze corn at my Grandma Kathleen's. We got to help get the hot corn cold by leaving it in a bin with the hose running to cool it down so that they could then cut it off the cob. I am certain we weren't much help, and way more hassle. I recall jumping on the trampoline for hours waiting for them to finish. It was so fun!
My mom's memory is just the opposite. Which I can totally see now that I am in her shoes. Little kids running around like mad with raw corn cobs as easy access food, weapons, and toys. I am sure she said,
"Don't touch the corn!" a million times each year. Then after doing all the work, not getting to take as much corn home as they thought, because they would divvy it out to everyone-regardless of who helped
pick, husk, cook, cool, cut, or bag it.
I also remember eating lots of Push-Up ice cream things from the Schwanns' guy. Grandma always bought those.
I was telling Kyle the other night when we froze some together (our first time) about my memories of "helping" freeze corn at my Grandma Kathleen's. We got to help get the hot corn cold by leaving it in a bin with the hose running to cool it down so that they could then cut it off the cob. I am certain we weren't much help, and way more hassle. I recall jumping on the trampoline for hours waiting for them to finish. It was so fun!
My mom's memory is just the opposite. Which I can totally see now that I am in her shoes. Little kids running around like mad with raw corn cobs as easy access food, weapons, and toys. I am sure she said,
"Don't touch the corn!" a million times each year. Then after doing all the work, not getting to take as much corn home as they thought, because they would divvy it out to everyone-regardless of who helped
pick, husk, cook, cool, cut, or bag it.
I also remember eating lots of Push-Up ice cream things from the Schwanns' guy. Grandma always bought those.
Anyway, as Kyle and I did this, I suddenly felt sad that we were doign corn late at night while our little kids slept unkowingly missing out on all the "fun". And I WANT them to have the same kind of memory. It can't be the same memory as mine, as the bin no longer around, neither is Grandma Kathleen, and I don't buy Push-Ups, but my mom is around. They should have the memory of freezing corn with their grandma. 

Gonna have to work on this one. No one knows how long the farm will really be around, or how many more years we might have to freeze dozens and dozens of ears of corn, or how long Grandma or any of us will be here. And since it's a yearly thing, I have got to make sure that next year
I don't do it the easy way...late at night with just my sweetheart.
Although that is a new and fond memory for me now.
I don't do it the easy way...late at night with just my sweetheart.
Although that is a new and fond memory for me now.
Comments
Oh, I checked out your ward blog just out of curiousity. You're doing great. I hope you're enjoying the calling!
Corn. yep what memories. I loved the harvest for several reasons one of which ment I didn't have to water it any more. It's funny. I have the same memories as you gina about corn at grandma's that I do. I swear they would use a cooler and you could tell when they were cool when they sank. But now I think that's a story they told us just to keep us busy. I loved the corn pit. I remember all of the foot ball games and throwing corn cobs. It's amazing none of us got run over by the "cat" (bulldozer). Even though Lee would put up a tissy fit when he got nailed I think he enjoyed it because it was one of the rare times that he could "play" with the kids. I remember that Kris, Tyler, Anna, and Jake would get to the pit first after conference because they lived closer. Then there's me driving the "cat". It seemed more fun to be throwing cobs rather than sitting on that thing. When I was in high school that Barbie doll song came out. It was late at night but they were working forever (to this day i don't understand why they don't start at 8 in the morning and get done at 8 instead of noon to midnight) but Z103 decided to play the "I'm a barbie girll in a barbie world, likin' plastic, it's fantastic." for about an hour. I loved that song to death and I was riding on that loud cat with my head phones on and appearantly I was just belting it out because the next day Lisa said somethign about it. I felt dumb.
The last time we were there at the farm I hit nastalga big time and just wanted to call jared and john over and drive dump truck all day. ***Sigh*** good memories.
Ps I deleted because I left out some info.