Cutting Your Own Christmas Tree 101

Well, this is the first year that we have ever gone to cut down our own tree. After such an experience, it's good to reflect back on the do's and don't's of tree cutting. We drove up towards Swan Valley, and went to Fall Creek from there. Not the best of spots, as there were lots of steep drop offs and steep mountain sides to work around. Of course we wanted a flat area, and our tree to be sitting there on the side of the road, conveniently. But it wasn't. Anyway, here you have it from my personal experience.

DO: {These are the things we did, will do next time, or would do again!}
  • Wear warm clothes, in layers.
  • Wear good gloves.
  • Take DVD player for children to watch.
  • Do take a good saw, good gloves, and rope.
  • Having children wear snow gear works out fine. It's just mud, right? It washes out.
  • Pay for the larger tree.
  • Wash the tree off before bringing inside. Muddy trees are as pretty.
  • Pack water, snacks, and cell phones.

DON'T: {Things we wish we would have done, or wouldn't have done.}
  • Don't take children that can't hike for themselves. This meant pregnant mom has to carry child up and down hillside. The hike was nearly a quarter of a mile, nearly straight upwards. The child is simply scared to death, and will not remember the family memory of Christmas tree cutting.
  • Don't insist that the kids come to view the actually cutting of the tree. Make them wait in the car.
  • Don't select a tree that has lots of company. Pick one that is a loner. This enables the logger and companion to view all sides of the tree to see that it is properly proportioned for ornament hanging.
  • Don't climb up a major hillside to cut your tree. It's likely that it looks much prettier there than in your home. Once you have hiked that far, you can't seemed to walk away without a tree, therefore sacrificing looks for convenience.
  • Do not go in white tennis shoes. Wear winter boots even if you aren't cold. MUD sucks.
  • Don't insist taking the children if there is more mud than snow.
  • Don't wade a freezing creek of water if you are in just shoes. Unless you WANT to feel like a Mormon pioneer, carrying children and gear over the water so they live and you can freeze to death.
  • This is a good time to have a small, convenient camera, one that fits into your pocket.
  • Don't be prideful, and skip a better spot just because there are people already there cutting their trees down.
  • Choose a more flat area, even if you have to walk further. Walking further on flat surface is more desirable than walking a long way, uphill.
  • Go after it has snowed. Snow is easier to clean than mud.
Other than that, it was a hilariously fun experience, and one that would be really fun with a 4 wheeler, and children age 8 and older.

Photos below!

I don't' know if you can tell how high up the mountain we are, but it was up there. We crossed a freezing cold creek, soaking our socks, shoes, and pant legs, all while carrying the kids across to keep them dry. We then hiked through thick THICK thicket sticks for about 50 feet, before trying to hike a mountain that had no path or trail. We so were roughin' it at this point. Put once we crossed the freezing water, there was no turning back without a tree. It was a pretty drive, and a lovely view, and the kids were doing really great. Cate made us really nervous, as she has no hiking experience. Landon was more cautious and nervous, and took it nice and slow. Jocelyn clung to me like a monkey, but she was so bundled up she couldn't really hang on to me tightly. She whined every time I put her down. I really think she was freaking out, thinking, "WHAT THE H-WORD ARE WE DOING!!!!" Because there were a few times I thought that to myself! It was a bit crazy of us and really one of us could have been terribly hurt now that I look back on it. Letting those little kids climb all over the mountain side that was at a good 45-60 degree angle. No kidding.
But up we went and down we came with mud on every whit of us, and runny noses on the kids, all while trying to bring the tree down too!






IT'S SOOOOO UGLY!!!!
We are so sad!

It sure looked good on the hill, 200 hundred feet up!
But it's not pretty at all!
So we are not putting it in the front room, where everyone would see it. No, it will hide downstairs.
But you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit.
Next year we will know better.

Comments

Ha ha ha!! I feel like we missed such an adventure!! Its not so ugly and think of the memories you made! Hee Hee. Our fake tree was pretty painless today. Lights came on it!
Someday we DO still want to have that adventure.
Bobbi Lee said…
I'm so dang proud of you! I didn't know people actually still had real trees - and it's not ugly. I assure you I have had some major Charlie Brown Christmas trees in my lifetime.
Diana said…
Woah!!! Way to go! You guys are all such troopers! Brings back some good memories of chopping down our own forest-Christmas tree.
kari said…
That is too funny Gina. It's like a Hallmark Christmas movie. I bet those kids think it is beautiful. And more importantly they have parents who care to give them so many life experiences. Hats off to you guys.
Cortnie said…
I'm so sorry you guys had to go through all of that. Next year borrow our four wheeler or wait til there's more snow and borrow the snow machine. I was just thinking today how going as a family would be such a good and fun experience, but your story makes me a little happier that Wray and his dad have gone that years we had one.
Camille said…
Chevy Chase has nothing on you guys. I love it. I am still laughing. I love the tree too. That tree should be displayed with pride.
Tiffy said…
That is tooo funny! I am so glad that you toughed it out and took your whole family. I don't think that your tree looks SO ugly--it just has alot of character!! And think of all the um . . .good memories you created. hee hee You should see our tree, Joshy cut it down in the dark!!! Good times!
Erin Ellsworth said…
Wow! We were thinking of cutting down a christmas tree this year, I am glad to read about your experience first!

I am definately not hiking through mud carrying my kids to get one so maybe we will just keep the little 3 footer we have for now!