What Not to Say to A Pregnant Woman

"You have no maternity or newborn insurance coverage."

Yes, this results first in denial, then anger, then tears.

And that is where we stand this morning. Although I am back to anger.
It's not a long story, but basically we waited to get pregnant because of insurance reasons. Our deductible was 5,000 a year or so ago and that was just to much for us to take on. They were working on changing their insurance policy at Kyle's work, and so we decided to see where we would land after the change. It was changed and we were then at a 2,000 deductible.

Yesterday at my appointment, I met with Gina in billing and we found that every claim so far to our insurance had been denied, and that according to what she had I had no coverage at all for maternity or newborn care.

Your first repsonse to such a thing, is there "must be a mistake". So I called Kyle and he ssaid the same thing. It only took a few hours to really discover that we didnt' have any maternity coverage. {At this point in the story I am leaving out some details due to personal reasons, but suffice it to say, we are very frustrated.}

As of now, I am supposed to have an ultrasound on Thrusday, but I am thinking I will have to cancel it becasue I am not sure what to tell them. My choices are:
1. Bill my insurance, which seems dishonest, as I know it will be denied.
2. We are getting insurance, can you wait. Yeah, right.
3. We have no insurance, what can we do?


Well, those aren't satifying answers for me or for the radiology department.

So now because I am so far along, I am not considered high risk, and it's pre-existing, and no insurance company is going to give us a lower deductible than 5,000 probably. Well, that isn't totally true. We probably can get a lower dedecutbile, but the payments would be really high. And to make it worse, I can't be picked up until the first of each month, and today is only the 3rd. I will most likely be uninsured for a month.

Guess I really shouldn't have put the Christmas lights on my house.
Climbing on the roof, 20 weeks pregnant....what was I thinking.

So with that....it's not nice to say to a pregnant woman that she has no insurance. It's just not nice.

Comments

Becky said…
Okay, that is a super crappy deal, but there's things you can do. I found this out when we had our crazy high deductible.
Work out a payment plan with them, your baby will be paid for before you go to the hospital. they will give you a discount for being a cash patient...promise.
Then when you get your hospital bill, call them and say, what can you do for me if I pay this off today. I know Madison took 20% off of our bill just to pay it off.
I'm so sorry, but good luck!!
Gallant Family said…
If you need to vent, please call...We'll definitely need different insurance for our next one because my deductible is at 5,000 right now and yeah, not about to pay that much! Let me know what you find out (if you do). And, congrats on the tree even though it isn't as good as you had hoped for. I am content with my artificial :0) So, are you going to get another for the upstairs???
Camille said…
oh man...Health Insurance is one of those things that causes me much stress. I am so sorry :(

When I saw your title I was thinking..Yeah like when the lady at the grocery store says, "wow are you sure that's your due date." Nope I am lying.

Yours is something that should never be said to a pregnant momma. Why cant Health Insurance just be simple: Yes-covered. That's why we pay for it right?
Erinn said…
How stressful! Seriously, don't they know that pulling stuff like this is bad for a pregnant Mom? Can you say STRESS!! Geez.

I know EIRMC gives a 20% off of your bill if you pay it off in the same day. I don't know how much help that is, but it could help.

Erinn
Cherie Nelson said…
Hey Gina! I've been crying today over the lack of maternity insurance too! We were thinking that we would have it once Bryan started his new job in January but found out today that NOPE, maternity is not included... UGH!

Right now, because of the issue of Bryan not having a job, we have Medicaid but if we move to Utah (as we were planning) we lose it. UGH!

Hang in there! It will work out for both of us - at least that is what I keep telling myself! LOL
Bobbi Lee said…
That is so extremely crappy. I will put you in my prayers that you will be able to find something affordable that works for you. Hang in there!
Tara H said…
Oh Gina,
I am so sorry. I know how you are feeling right now. Do you even qualify for Medicaid?? When I was six months pregnant with Odessa I was told "you are being laid off" and I was the one carrying the insurance on both of us. SO STRESSFUL to figure it all out. You are so resourceful, I know you will find a way with all the tips people give you. still, a HUGE blow. When Ada was 6 months old they told us we had bought the "wrong" insurance for her and none of her well baby visits or shots were covered- all the premiums were worthless. I shed many a tear over that mistake. $1100 later . . . I can actually kind of agree with my girlfriend in Canada who think Social Med rocks! ha ha
kari said…
My brother had a major brain surgery (emergency of course), had very little insurance and was able to apply for greviance??? at the hospital. He is still waiting on that.

Also, the doctor is letting them pay off most of there bill cleaning his office on the weekends. I know, not fun, not fun at all, but they truely feel blessed. They would have been out over 50,000 dollars.

I will keep thinking. Insurance and let's just say FINANCES are the thorn in anyone's side.

Hang in there cute girl!

Pictures any Saturday you can fit us in. We need them for Christmas presents!:)
brandy said…
I would see what you can do..Maybe you could get Chip or something(Higher Income help)I don't think you should wait to long before your ultrasound thou(you just never know).I think Doctor Hall office will be understanding. As long as you have so much paid by the time the baby comes.I am a firm believer in that you really can't choose when they come unless you are not trying. So this is the time for you to have your baby. What a crappy trail thou. Sorry and Good Luck!!!
Erin Ellsworth said…
That stinks...a lot more than stinks, but I usually don't say those words.

Good Luck and we will keep you in our prayers. I am sure it will all work out some how.
Like I said on the phone....You guys should REALLY get the E&O insurance out of the ins. agent. It's owed to you, and it REALLY doesn't effect him. This is exactly what it is there for...take advantage NOW!!! love you guys!