Sometimes it really is just a matter of listening to that voice that is slightly louder and yet still a whispering hint.
I went to get a haircut, hit the doctor's office, pick up ice cream for Jo's birthday, and exchanged a gift yesterday. I had thought about helping out the Young Women's project of making blankets for NICU babies but didn't have any extra fabric. I contemplated buying some. Mentioned it to my DH who said, sure but to stay under 10 bucks.
Upon getting a hair cut, having my hour and 20 minute appointment for my glucose test, and exchanging Jo's birthday gift I was behind schedule and felt I was just out of time to shop for fabric and get the ice cream.
"But Hancock Fabrics is just right there. Just hurry and go." --I said.
"But I am already nearly a half hour behind and Camille has had my kids for way to long, and I have to get the ice cream!" ---I said.
"You should really go get the fabric." -- I said.
This internal conversation wasn't really between myself and myself, though it easily feels that way.
The winner was the "Go" voice. I thought if I would hurry just fast enough it would be okay.
I got inside and frantically found some fabric. As I quickly got to the cutting desk and sweet little lady also approached and "beat" me in line. "Just my luck!" I thought! Here I am trying to hurry and the sweet lady doesn't know how much fabric she needs. The clerk starts doing some math in her head. I debate leaving, thinking "what a waste of precious time." But instead I find myself asking the grandma, "Are you making a baby blanket?"
"What? Gina you don't have time for this!!!!" I think.
The sweet lady replies, "Sorta. I am making a blanket for my 7 year old grand-daughter who's mother has left her and her father, my son, and said she didn't want them any more."
How sad. Now I feel awful. My reply is one of sorrow and I say something about how unfortunate the situation her son and grand daughter are in.
She asks what I am making.
"Well, nothing actually. I am wanting to purchase this fabric to donate to a young womens group who will make some blankets for the babies in the NICU at the hospital."
"I am not sure what a NICU is." the lady says. "Oh, it's the intensive care unit for premature babies." I reply.
A short pause, and then the lady says to me, but looking at the clerk, "I would like to purchase this fabric as well." pointing to my pink and blue fleece.
"Oh my! That isn't necessary!" I say.
"You never turn down a gift, sweetheart." the lady says.
With that, the clerk measures my fabric and I graciously thank the lady again and again, and leave.
I am sure that the blessings she will receive for such a gracious and generous gesture far out way the 8-10 dollars it cost her. As for me, well I walked away thinking..."Another lesson about listening to the spirit. Got it. It never was about the time or money. It was about letting someone else into my life and accepting the gift."
Thanks Camille for graciously watching my two monsters, tears and all, for that extra half hour, so that I could experience a lesson in Self-Debate, also known as Learning to Listen to the Spirit.
There was no Burning in the Bosom, no Voice of Thunder, no Heavy Heart Pounding....that isn't always how the Holy Ghost speaks to us. It more frequently is an inner conversation, where you feel like you aren't talking to yourself really. It's hard to explain, I suppose. But I know it when I "see" it.
I could easily chalk this one up to just my own thinking, but it wasn't me. It never was.
I went to get a haircut, hit the doctor's office, pick up ice cream for Jo's birthday, and exchanged a gift yesterday. I had thought about helping out the Young Women's project of making blankets for NICU babies but didn't have any extra fabric. I contemplated buying some. Mentioned it to my DH who said, sure but to stay under 10 bucks.
Upon getting a hair cut, having my hour and 20 minute appointment for my glucose test, and exchanging Jo's birthday gift I was behind schedule and felt I was just out of time to shop for fabric and get the ice cream.
"But Hancock Fabrics is just right there. Just hurry and go." --I said.
"But I am already nearly a half hour behind and Camille has had my kids for way to long, and I have to get the ice cream!" ---I said.
"You should really go get the fabric." -- I said.
This internal conversation wasn't really between myself and myself, though it easily feels that way.
The winner was the "Go" voice. I thought if I would hurry just fast enough it would be okay.
I got inside and frantically found some fabric. As I quickly got to the cutting desk and sweet little lady also approached and "beat" me in line. "Just my luck!" I thought! Here I am trying to hurry and the sweet lady doesn't know how much fabric she needs. The clerk starts doing some math in her head. I debate leaving, thinking "what a waste of precious time." But instead I find myself asking the grandma, "Are you making a baby blanket?"
"What? Gina you don't have time for this!!!!" I think.
The sweet lady replies, "Sorta. I am making a blanket for my 7 year old grand-daughter who's mother has left her and her father, my son, and said she didn't want them any more."
How sad. Now I feel awful. My reply is one of sorrow and I say something about how unfortunate the situation her son and grand daughter are in.
She asks what I am making.
"Well, nothing actually. I am wanting to purchase this fabric to donate to a young womens group who will make some blankets for the babies in the NICU at the hospital."
"I am not sure what a NICU is." the lady says. "Oh, it's the intensive care unit for premature babies." I reply.
A short pause, and then the lady says to me, but looking at the clerk, "I would like to purchase this fabric as well." pointing to my pink and blue fleece.
"Oh my! That isn't necessary!" I say.
"You never turn down a gift, sweetheart." the lady says.
With that, the clerk measures my fabric and I graciously thank the lady again and again, and leave.
I am sure that the blessings she will receive for such a gracious and generous gesture far out way the 8-10 dollars it cost her. As for me, well I walked away thinking..."Another lesson about listening to the spirit. Got it. It never was about the time or money. It was about letting someone else into my life and accepting the gift."
Thanks Camille for graciously watching my two monsters, tears and all, for that extra half hour, so that I could experience a lesson in Self-Debate, also known as Learning to Listen to the Spirit.
There was no Burning in the Bosom, no Voice of Thunder, no Heavy Heart Pounding....that isn't always how the Holy Ghost speaks to us. It more frequently is an inner conversation, where you feel like you aren't talking to yourself really. It's hard to explain, I suppose. But I know it when I "see" it.
I could easily chalk this one up to just my own thinking, but it wasn't me. It never was.
Comments