Romeo was right. A rose by any other name, would smell just as sweet. So, so what if the name I pick stinks to you. Or so what if they name you used reeks to me. A rose would smell just as sweet if Adam had called it Dung.
I have several friends that have just had a baby or are expecting one any time! In the several discussions I have had about naming a baby, I was led to look up a few names.
Axel
Stone
Rocky
Stone
Rocky
These three names wanted by some of my friends' DH were not on the list that I saw. See the list for yourself...
However, there were several names that were listed that I know as a child. Madeleine, Ella and Landon happen to all be real people within my family circle and they are within the TOP 10 for last year. So much for original!
Catelyn is on there as well, but no sign of Jocelyn.
My boy name didn't make the top 100 at all last year, and my girl name is #80.
I share this with my name seeking friends (and maybe they have decided on something, I don't know) and with whomever comes across this post just for fun.
Sometimes naming a child is one of the hardest parts about a pregnancy. It's crazy how quickly a couple can disagree on names, and shocking that they can't find just ONE name that works for both of them. Most couples do find one or finally compromise, obviously, or we would all be nameless.
In the past we have with held sharing our names, as my friend Amy is doing at this very moment. What a smart move-- as unwelcomed opinions are then shared when you share your name choice.
This baby is named, however, and we have shared our names. In most cases, no one has commented negatively on our choice of names, and some have even stated they love our choices.
We love our picks of Bowen and Brooklyn for several reasons.
For Bowen, a name that I suggested, and we decided on nearly 2 1/2 years ago when we thought Jocelyn might be a boy, it has stayed with us. It does sound complimentary for our family names, and matches up well with Landon. It has a strong sound to it, and though I grew up with a family whose last name was Bowen, it bears no memory of them when I say it. This is due to having selected it 2 years ago and having had that much time to think about it.
As to Brooklyn, another one of my suggestions, it came to light for us 8 years ago, just shortly after we were married. We have yet to use it, for numerous reasons that I won't go into detail on now. It's time now though to use it. If this baby is a girl, she is Brooklyn, no questions about it. If she is a he, well then Brooklyn goes back on the shelf, but is the first one will will use should we be blessed with another little girl.
As to the matter of what if we get a boy and then another boy,or vice versa, we will have to go back to the drawing board for another name. But there are plenty of them out there. Some to be revived, perhaps like Cindy. Some that should remain in the past, like Rufus. Some to still be discovered or made up....like Applie or Hexon. To each their own.
So to my undermined friends--Camille and Erin--good luck in finding that perfect fit!!! I am so excited for you both! {And if you do go with Stone and Rocky, I may be forced to name our boy--if he is a he and not a she--Boulder or Granite so he fits in with his friends. bahahah!} And we will all LOVE it no matter what, because YOU are the parents and YOU get to decide. To those who might object to your selection or ours...well I will just keep my mouth shut and not write what I really think. I try to be above that kind of attitude and language.
Comments
Jonas was not on that list at all, but Jonah was #75. Close enough! I searched for my girl name and it wasn't on the list at all. I think it is fun, but stressful all at the same time.
( I say this knowing that I have been guilty of thinking and possibly saying the same things.) OOPS!!!
For me, hopefully we can just get this little angel named. hee! hee! :)
PS: I am still laughing about the granite comment.
I'm not the type that wouldn't tell people though, if we did have a name picked out. People are going to either like it or hate it when the kid is born so what's the point in delaying it. The beauty of it is that as long as you like it, who cares what other people think.
So many people get all possessive over names, there was a huge to-do in our family over it once. Can you really "claim" a name before you use it? lol.