I enjoy watching HOUSE, which is a medical show on TV, and where Dr. House is a total jerk, but an excellent doctor. It's quite funny often times. On Monday night I DVRed it and watched it last night with Kyle after our excellent date out on the town....where we went birthday shopping for our nearly 6 year old.
Anyway, the episode was entitled "The Social Contract". Funny that such a title would be to relevant to the day I had yesterday. The idea behind the 'social contract' is that you are nice to people and they are nice back. It's just how we are socially. The contract becomes more or less binding the longer a relationship (whether friend, family, lover, etc) lasts. For some, I guess the less the contract is binding the more honest and open one is, however when it pushes past having no contract harsh things can be said to the point of termination the relationship or "burning a bridge".
I have social contracts with all kinds of people, as does every one I suppose. It really was an interesting topic.
At this point, I have been reflecting on a few subjects I have never breached with my "blog". This is my journal for all that it's worth, as I will never be one to hand write in a regular journal again. I enjoyed writing as a missionary a lot...but can't see myself going back to that. But NEVER SAY NEVER, right! No one is "always" or "never" going to do something/be something. Those are terrible words I suppose to describe behavior of people or animals.
A few subjects I want to write about and hope to over time (gosh I feel like this is a new years' resolution long over due!) are:
1. My mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
2. What I remember of college
3. Being a Blob (more on that later! Wink wink to Janelle!)
4. How I met my Husband
5. My memory {Bahahahah! All my family is now laughing at me, I am sure. Even the ones in their graves.}
6. The Emotional Rollercoaster of Dental School Application
7. Depression
8. My Hospital Experience after a Horseback Riding Accident
9. What little I remember of my Hernia Surgery
10. Some of the places I have been
Now that I have my list, I will try to tackle it.
As to not forget that this is a public blog, and I choose that all can read it, please, feel free to not visit should the above planne-on and futurist journal entries maybe totally boring to anyone but me, entirely offensive in some way, or plain down dumb.
I want to write about what I want to write about, but have also thought about a few things that for me I SHOULD write about. This list is just the beginning.
And as far as that "Social Contract" goes, I plan to record some of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Because, among the thank you cards, get well wishes, sorry-to-hear-about-that thoughts, I have hung on to a few comments in my life that have lifted my spirits when down, along with a few that have made me feel sad. And those things were said all based on the level of "social contract" I have with each person that said what they said.
It would be nice for me to have a journal entry to reflect back on when I have a down day. Something like my quote journal from my mission.....heee heeee
"The water pressure's hurting me!" and "I used to be in a band, and now I am in a band with these guys." and "Keep that orange bag going strong, Sister Pack!"
Hahahahahahah! Oh, those are some good memories. I should journal about those, too.
Anyway, the episode was entitled "The Social Contract". Funny that such a title would be to relevant to the day I had yesterday. The idea behind the 'social contract' is that you are nice to people and they are nice back. It's just how we are socially. The contract becomes more or less binding the longer a relationship (whether friend, family, lover, etc) lasts. For some, I guess the less the contract is binding the more honest and open one is, however when it pushes past having no contract harsh things can be said to the point of termination the relationship or "burning a bridge".
I have social contracts with all kinds of people, as does every one I suppose. It really was an interesting topic.
At this point, I have been reflecting on a few subjects I have never breached with my "blog". This is my journal for all that it's worth, as I will never be one to hand write in a regular journal again. I enjoyed writing as a missionary a lot...but can't see myself going back to that. But NEVER SAY NEVER, right! No one is "always" or "never" going to do something/be something. Those are terrible words I suppose to describe behavior of people or animals.
A few subjects I want to write about and hope to over time (gosh I feel like this is a new years' resolution long over due!) are:
1. My mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
2. What I remember of college
3. Being a Blob (more on that later! Wink wink to Janelle!)
4. How I met my Husband
5. My memory {Bahahahah! All my family is now laughing at me, I am sure. Even the ones in their graves.}
6. The Emotional Rollercoaster of Dental School Application
7. Depression
8. My Hospital Experience after a Horseback Riding Accident
9. What little I remember of my Hernia Surgery
10. Some of the places I have been
Now that I have my list, I will try to tackle it.
As to not forget that this is a public blog, and I choose that all can read it, please, feel free to not visit should the above planne-on and futurist journal entries maybe totally boring to anyone but me, entirely offensive in some way, or plain down dumb.
I want to write about what I want to write about, but have also thought about a few things that for me I SHOULD write about. This list is just the beginning.
And as far as that "Social Contract" goes, I plan to record some of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Because, among the thank you cards, get well wishes, sorry-to-hear-about-that thoughts, I have hung on to a few comments in my life that have lifted my spirits when down, along with a few that have made me feel sad. And those things were said all based on the level of "social contract" I have with each person that said what they said.
It would be nice for me to have a journal entry to reflect back on when I have a down day. Something like my quote journal from my mission.....heee heeee
"The water pressure's hurting me!" and "I used to be in a band, and now I am in a band with these guys." and "Keep that orange bag going strong, Sister Pack!"
Hahahahahahah! Oh, those are some good memories. I should journal about those, too.
Comments
And I like our 'contract' and hope it just keeps getting better! LOVE YOU, GINA!