Moving on. . . .
This is about what I do at church. {And beware-- I am about to vent a bit about callings and my personal feelings about it. Don't go getting all offended. I am not referring to anyone specifically. If you are easily offended by me, STOP READING HERE. If you continue on , it's your own fault.}
I do up the bulletin. It's pretty simple, basic and I do have fun playing with fonts. I honestly search out messages for the front page. Simple enough.
My other calling. . .
I teach the nursery children their songs and music. The Music Teacher for the little tikes. It's got its pros and cons, but suffice it to say,
There are some super cute kids in my ward, and truthfully, some that aren't so much TO ME. I am sure that my kids fall in the category of NOT CUTE to some people out there. To others, maybe they find my kids irresistible. Who knows. People aren't usually that brutally honest.
Anyway, some of them have no regards to that personal bubble and get right up in my face when singing. ☺ Journee, Abby, Lydia, Taycie, Preston, Isaac and Hunter, and Kenzie...just to name a few! They are so fun!
Some sit in the back and never even smile at me. {I hope that will change with time...Miyah!}
Others are totally listening, but will not play along. {Usually Ryan, but this week he did awesome! Jaron. Little cute stinkers!}
And still some will do all the actions but never sing the song. {Reese, Reese, Cage and Grady. Maybe they are nervous in front of their peers to let that voice out! Who knows! I bet at home they are singing like crazy!}
My nursery child? Well Jo Jo bounces off the floor and won't sit still to save her life, but she sings at the top of her lungs. She seems to love having me come into her class...like she is so proud of me...that I am her mom. It's cute and flattering.
They all seem to like me, but kids are great that way. So easily enticed and persuaded. I could smell awful, be relatively ugly to my peers, and have a disability or be old or something, and they would still like me. So to have them like me isn't that much of a surprise. They'd like anyone who came into to class to entertain and sing to them, right??
(I mention some of these kids by name for my sake, it helps me to remember them, plus I don't want to forget them. I can't wait to see them grow up a bit! It's gonna be great.)
The class that has the oldest kids, the ones who will go into Primary as Sunbeams, well they are by far the best at following directions and singing. They are pretty cute. Makes me wonder why it's such a struggle to find teachers for them. I think that many, 15+ probably, have flat out said they will not teach in primary or nursery to the bishop's face..
So foolish. I will admit that though I have my reservations about teaching the little kids, I would NEVER say NO to a calling to teach the kids. If the Savior were to come to church, I don't think he would go to Sunday School, or High Priests. No, I think he would go straight to primary and nursery. I imagine He would surround himself with those little children. So to think of turning down a calling where He himself would be. . . well, I just don't ever want to have to sit there at that judgement bar and tell Him why I didn't take that calling. Not me. I make plenty of mistakes, but this isn't one I hope to never make.
I have always had a special place in my heart for those who serve in nursery and primary. I appreciate all they do to teach my children. And I think that if you have children and turn down callings in that area, you shouldn't be allowed to send your kids to nursery/primary. Take your turn. If everyone would just take a turn there...good grief.
I know that Amy spends more time worrying about teachers for the kids than the kids. That is so wrong.
I know finding willing people to serve in those callings is something that Kyle and the rest of the Bishopric struggle with.
It's just flat out sad.
Guess the same goes for finding speakers.
What a joke, really what a joke.
So, anyway, I just really am glad that I was asked to fulfill this calling. I may not be that great at it, and I may have lots to learn from these little ones, but I am glad it's my turn to be there.
I would guess that there are a few women in RS that have wondered why I keep slipping out of RS. Maybe no one notices. But spending 40 minutes singing the silly songs that normally drive me up the wall when my kids won't stop singing them, well that is the best way to spend time at church.
I found this article online at lds.org. If you are still reading, not only are you a great friend, but if you continue to read this last part, I applaud you. You are willing to be educated even more about this subject of accepting and declining callings (and releases, I might add.)
I know that I have plenty to learn still about being a good faithful member of the Lord's true church. But I do know that I am on the right path. And that feels good.
“Are there ever any circumstances that justify not accepting a Church job?”
Victor L. Brown, “Q&A: Questions and Answers,” New Era, Mar. 1973, 50
Answer/Bishop
In the Church we do not aspire to nor seek positions. Rather, we are called through inspiration by those in authority. It is not uncommon for the one receiving the call to consider himself inadequate for the assignment. He, of course, is inadequate if left to his own abilities. It is essential that each worker in the Church enjoy the companionship of the Spirit of the Lord if he is to be effective in carrying out his responsibilities.
In considering our answer to the priesthood officer extending the call, we should remember Nephi’s response to his father Lehi when asked to return to Jerusalem with his rebellious brothers to obtain the plates of brass. Notwithstanding the apparent impossible nature of the assignment, Nephi displayed his faith in the Lord when he said, “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” (1 Ne. 3:7.)
I witnessed this same kind of faith a few years ago in New York City. I was there on business. On fast Sunday I found my way to the Manhattan Ward. I was a stranger, but I remember so clearly the testimony the young bishop bore before turning the meeting to the membership for testimony bearing. He explained that he was a student at Columbia University, working on his doctorate. He had a full-time job making a living for his young family of several children. He said in almost a pleading voice that he prayed constantly to the Lord not to release him from being bishop at least until after he had received his degree. He indicated that the blessings of the Lord had made it possible for him to be in the very highest percentile of his class. This young bishop knew as did Nephi that if he would do his part in accepting a call to serve, even though extremely difficult, the Lord would make him equal to the challenges.
This is the church of Jesus Christ. He is the head of the Church. Each one called is called for one purpose and that is to assist the Savior in bringing about his work and his glory, which he said was to “bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” (Moses 1:39.) What greater opportunity or blessing could come to one than this. This is why we are taught to accept every call that comes to us through the priesthood.
Notwithstanding this, on the rare occasion when the one extending the call may not know of some personal situation, it is not inappropriate to explain it to him. After he is fully acquainted with all factors, if he still desires that we serve, I believe it is our duty to respond.
I know that I have received blessings in my life from accepting callings, and have missed out on even greater blessings when I haven't fulfilled those callings to the best of my ability. I know that my callings to serve are more for me than for those I serve. And I know that the Lord loves me. That He wants me to have joy in this life, including when I serve in the church. And I share this for my memory's sake, my posterity who might some day read this online, and those of you who read it, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Gina
Comments
the one thing i would say is that i'd rather have someone say "no" to a calling rather than be ornery/mean to my child every week because they resent being there. so, in my mind if your not going to accept a calling with a happy, willing heart/attitude then maybe it is better for everyone else if you do say "no."
i always make sure to thank the nursery leaders when i drop off and pick up grady. i think it's important for them to know that they are appreciated for the service they give as i know it's not always an easy calling.
lol. apparently i have a lot to say about this topic as i could keep going. but i have to remember to keep myself in check!
As far as being willing to serve, all I can say is that I am so thankful for those who are. There are many many people that have given countless hours to help me be where I am and my family and I will owe those individuals eternally!
There are times when I get upset about people not following through on things, but one thing I always get reminded of is that I have been given much and much is expected of me. There are others that are doing well just to be active given their particular life experiences and for them, there is a different expectation. All I can worry about is if what I am doing is enough. Easier said than done, but sometimes that really helps me to think about it that way.
Anyway, hope all is going well with you and I am excited for your take on New Moon. I personally loved it! : )
Ha ha--'Edwards' theatre!
kyle
I just wanted to say thank you for your post today. I have been thinking about that a lot lately as we have been having a hard time finding people who are willing to accept a primary/nursery calling. I wish there were more people who see things the way you do. I just don't know why it is always such a nightmare to have to walk into Sunday School and ask for volunteers to help/sub in nursery or primary. Every time I have to ask, there is complete silence and no one volunteers. Don't they know that these are Heavenly Fathers children, not just their own or someone else's kid? Don't they know the importance of teaching his children? I'm sure at some point we will all be asked to serve in a position that we think "isn't our thing" but I too agree that you should never say no to a calling. Not only are you saying no to your Bishop/Bishopric, you are saying no to the Lord. Do people realize that? I know I have had a calling that I wasn't too excited about, but I just couldn't say no (scouts). I knew nothing about it, and I still don't really know. But I learned to love it and I loved the boys! I only had 3 and they were all inactive. I hope that I set a good enough example that someday it will count for something. I don't know if being the music leader for nursery is your "thing" or not, but thank you for your willingness to serve as both of my kids are in nursery. I know you do a great job and the kids love you! Singing time is Journee's favorite time! She is always singing. She sings herself to sleep every night. She came home yesterday singing something about Don't ever forget to pray. I am certain it is something that you were teaching. I try to teach her that same principle at home but it is so reassuring that someone else is also teaching her the same. I hope that if she gets it in every direction, she will learn of its truth. As for Kage, he still has a very small vocabulary. Even though he doesn't say much (or sing) I know he is learning from your example. Last night before bed I thought it was fitting to sing Once There Was A Snowman. Kage immediately started doing the actions and was SUPER excited and would clap at the end and want to do it again. Your calling may not seem big or of any importance but it is. Thank you for taking the time to teach my children and be an example to them. I know you don't get thanked enough and I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all you do!
Rachel
Why do you think the same people do most of the work. They are willing to grow and have the Lord increase their capabilities. It also gives each of us the opportunity to use the personal inspiration that comes with each calling if we'll just pray about our callings in effort to do our best to serve the members and offer sacrifice to the Lord on His behalf.
All callings come with a release and those saying no don't remember it's only for awhile. You can always find something about your calling that you can like and improve upon.
Guess I could go on and on too. It's so frustrating to not be able to count on all members to do their part. They are missing so much personal improvement.
I love Primary and worked there many years raising my children and I had a blast!! Trust me-there are way harder callings that Primary-enjoy the easier ones while you can....
Thanks Gina-I loved that talk!
I, too, believe we should TRY to always accept the callings extended to us....there are one or two callings that I would probably WANT to turn down...even though I really don't want to disappoint my Heavenly Father...sometimes we're weak...and we're human...and maybe those who DO turn down callings learn a valuable lesson. I'd assume there is quite a bit of guilt that comes with saying NO. So maybe they'll learn to accept from then on...I don't know...I'm rambling.
It's disappointing to see that SO many people in your ward are saying NO. Especially to primary. You are a tough bird sis, always saying what you think. A curse and a blessing, eh? So my only other comment is TRY TRY TRY not to judge those that turn down callings...it's not our place to judge them and GUESS why they turned down a calling. That is their personal battle...and they'll deal with the ramifications of their choices. It doesn't help when weak members suffer from strong members "picking" on them for not being stronger...