A Kind Email and My Reply

I received a letter via email and I wish to hang on to it. So it will go here on my blog, a spot where it hopefully will not be lost in out there in outer space, cyber space, or because the internet completely crashs forever and ever. I am grateful for friends like Becky. If everyone were more like her, well this would be a better world for sure.

Gina,

Hi! I hope things are going well. I just read about Landon and was thinking about you. I wanted to tell you how cool I think you are and how much I admire things about you. And I know you don't need this list to build your self esteem, but I wanted to write it anyway :) So just read the darn letter!

1. I admire how creative and talented you are. I notice the scrapbook pages I've seen, the blog layout, the photography stuff. Awesome. Not just anybody can do that. Take me for example...it would take me a lifetime of trying to realize that I don't have that talent! (not a lifetime, like 5 minutes)
2. You are so friendly to everyone. I watched you when I moved in and as I lived there. You were always about and doing good things. I know that I was sick a lot, but I still SAW things and I am impressed and touched at how you reached out to others.
3. Your testimony and knowledge about the gospel. I can tell you really have a testimony and love the Lord and your family and others. I can see that you have a desire to do what is right. And you teach this to others just by what you do and the way you do it.
4. You are really beautiful. Maybe this isn't a talent, but you are. (I always loved your necklaces, too)
5. You are genuine to others. You don't fake it--people like that.

So to sum it up: Keep up the good work :)

I wish I could have been more involved when I was in Idaho with people, like you. I really do. I watched from my window and saw people drive by as I laid in bed or the couch and couldn't do anything. It was one of the sorrows of my life--to not be involved and to not be able to even contribute to friendships like I wanted. Everything was so very hard for me even when I wanted to let others know how much I appreciated small things, etc. But it is done and I am alive and happy for the experience.

I don't know why I am writing this. I don't actually write random letters to people that much. But, alas, I am weird. Maybe it's just because it's Christmas time and I like to write letters. You can even use this letter as an excuse to exercise charity by humoring a sickly, weird, old neighbor.

See ya,

Becky



Dear Becky,
You think to highly of me and all I can say is THANKS. You really are so kind. I don't know that I am talented, but I do tend to be creative. I am sure this was a gift of mine before coming to earth. Now sure why, but I just think so. I have always tried to be friendly and I think it is due to being treated poorly as a friend in my youth by two girls I grew up with. I just kept on being nice, and now I know that when kindness isn't reciprocated it's okay, but that I don't need to keep going back to that person for "friendship". I am more confident that I can move on and find a better friend. And I am not always nice. Sometimes in weakness I am rude, unkind, unthinking, short tempered, arrogant, smart-mouthed, and a pot-stirrer. So don't think that I am always nice. I try to be and I guess that in your case, I was always nice. That makes me feel good, that I have treated you well, and that your perception of me is of me being kind to you and others. Thank you.
I only have a strong testimony on days when I nourish it. It takes time and experiences to grow one. My mission fostered a lot of growth in that area for me. I try not to take it for granted.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So thank you for thinking I am beautiful. I know a few people think this of me. My parents, my kids, you and Kyle. As for my necklaces, well, thanks, again. I have made my own or received them as gifts, or bought them dirt cheap!
And genuine, well, I am not a good faker. My face usually is like a neon sign as to how I am feeling or what I am thinking. I could never play poker. Good thing I don't gamble.
Anyway, I hope you and Matt have a very nice Christmas and know that you are missed as neighbors. Despite that we would now be in different wards, you would still be one of my closest neighbors. I am sorry that your time here was limited and that your health was poor, that you weren't able to do much but lie in bed and rest. Some day, you won't have that worry at all, even if it's not until the next life. I think it's wonderful to know that each of us is given challenges that we specifically need while here to improve ourselves and prepare for what will come to us after our time here on earth. You have many, MANY years ahead of you, and with those sweet kids of yours, your troubles (and mine with my kids) are probably just beginning! Scary thought, huh! But, I know you wouldn't change any of it. You are a strong person for what you deal with and manage in your life, and will continue to have the Lords hand guide you should you continue to follow Him in faith.
My thoughts and prayers are with you this morning as I reply to your way-to-nice email.


All my love and more,
Gina

Comments

Camille said…
Gina,

I don't know this Becky who wrote you this letter but she is the kind of friend a girl is lucky to have. Its so nice to have a friend who will tell you why she thinks your great!

I am glad you shared it. Makes me want to tell all my friends how great they are and why I admire them so.

You really are a Great friend.
Cindy said…
It is so nice to have friends like that eh? She' right tho' and so are you about yourself. Most people don't look that deeply about themselves. They don't want to really think about it. Becky is a great friend and it's a great early birthday gift isn't it? I think you're pretty special too and I see the same things Becky does about you. You are a great mom and your children love you. So does Kyle-wonderful husband. You're very fortunate in so many areas of your life. Just remember that on those bad days (that we all have) Love you Gina!!!
Mary C. said…
nice tribute from your friend
cardwellclan said…
Thanks Gina! This made me feel like crying. And, oh, by the way, I think it WASN'T too nice--you really are those things. Love ya.
Thats really sweet of your friend. That has inspired me to write a letter to a friend...I'm glad you have awesome people in your life!