Speaking of Christmas, Literally.

Kyle asked me to speak in church on Sunday. Two days after Christmas, with the subject of 'The Life of Christ'. I considered it a compliment that he would ask me to speak. He must have felt confident that I would have something to say that would be of worth for others to hear and uplifting and edifying for me to learn.

Now that it's come and gone, I wonder if my talk spoke to anyone but me. Well that isn't entirely true. I know it spoke to Allisha and Autumn, and I appreciate them sharing their thoughts with me about it. And there were several people that complimented me after I spoke on the subject of my talk. I hope that those who truly listened were
uplifted and edified.

Because of the
lesson in my Sunday school class (marriage and family relations) I have a stronger desire to write more about the spirit in my life and how the Holy Ghost influences me too. Because of that, I saved my talk, and decided to post it on my blog. For future reference, for my children to read someday, for other mothers who might read it, and for a repeat talk, should I ever have to speak on a Christmas Sunday again....hee hee. {And of course, I didn't give it word for word, but it was pretty close.}

******************************************
I received my copy of Jesus the Christ in preparation to serving a mission. I have read is several times and love learning about the Saviors life through this book, along with my scriptures.

“The Little Town was crowded at the time, most likely but the multitude that had come in obedience to the tax summons. And in consequence Joseph and Mary failed to find the most desirable accommodations and had to be content with the conditions of an improvised camp, as travelers unnumbered have done before and as uncounted others have done since in that region, and elsewhere.”

And we know that it was while in this situation that Mary gave birth to the Son of God, Jesus Christ.
Many of us have recently talked in our homes with our families about the birth of Christ. The Shepard, the wise men, the star, the manger, the angel. The true meaning of Christmas told, the stories of what the candy cane, the colors of red and green, the tree, the wreath, the bows, and gifts all represent. Songs have been song about the Babe of Bethlehem.And I am the one who sits back and wonders if Mary ever panicked at the thought of raising a child. Those feelings of uncertainty. Did she struggle with discipline, cooking, and maintaining a home like me? Did she ever have a day where she wanted to throw in the towel out of frustration and human error?
I do not wish to talk lightly of her, for I have much respect for Mary. My natural self has wondered though, what Baby Jesus was like, as a baby, and as a toddler, and as a preschooler, because I have my own and I know what they are like.

And so I have read, several times and pondered what James E. Talmage has written about this time frame in Jesus’ life.

“The silence with which the early periods of the life of Jesus is treated by inspired historians is impressive. None but Joseph, Mary, and the other members of the immediate family or close associates of the house could have furnished the facts of daily life in the humble home at Nazareth, and from these qualified informants Matthew and Luke probably derived the knowledge of which they wrote. In the absence of this detail may we see evidence of the genuineness of the scriptural account.

“In such simplicity is the normal, natural development of the Boy Jesus made clear. He came among men to experience all the natural conditions of mortality; He was born as truly a dependent helpless babe like any other child. In His infancy was all the common features like the infancy of others. His boy hood was actual boyhood. His development was as necessary and as real as that of all children. Over His mind had fallen the veil of forgetfulness common to all who are born to earth.

“With hallowed silence do the inspired scribes honor the boyhood of the Lord. He who seeks to invent circumstances in the life of Christ with fictitious additions dishonors him. Read thoughtfully the attested truth concerning the boyhood of the Christ, “And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him.”

And so it is, that Elder James E. Talmage of the Quorum of the Tweleve Apostles wrote during 1914 and 1915, while in the Salt Lake Temple, and though little more is shared with us about the boyhood of Jesus, it is enough. I have pondered several times about how to best show respect and honor towards Mary, Joseph and their Son, the Savior. And so I tell my children, what I have learned from attending my church meetings, from the primary songs I sang, and from reading the scriptures what I do know about the birth of the Savior.

Picture a stable in Judea
Picture a sacred, silent night
And can you hear the angels near
And see the star so bright?
Picture the kind and gentle Joseph
Picture the mother, Mary, fair
And can you see so reverently
The shepherds kneeling there?|
Picture the little baby Jesus.
Think of his life and words so dear
Sing praise to Him; Remember Him,
As you picture Christmas this year

That primary song helps adults as much as it helps children to picture the scene of that first Christmas. Many of us have watched the Nativity video that the Church has provided for all to see. This short film portrays that first Christmas with a chilly night, with stars so bright and a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes, which I think all of us picture as faded white rags. That night a cry so tiny was heard, and then peace and quite as they all looked at the baby. When I have had my babies, we laugh a bit at that first cry, so happy to hear it. We stand around, in a circle, truly as close as we can all be to see and stare at the infant who has just joined our family. These little babies are also wrapped up tight, to keep them warm, and a nurse will get upset with you should you try to unwrap them to see more than just that tiny face. We are all eager are to peek and see all ten tiny toes. Then comes the child’s name. Whether decided upon long ago or still nameless, calling that little person by name is at first a tender word, so gently spoken. Mary and Joseph knew the name of the Son she would bare. Having had an Angel tell you what the child’s name should be would be helpful.

Luke 1:26 . . . the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David;
and the virgin’s name was Mary.
28
And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29
And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30
And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31
And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

I have a deep respect for Mary, and much gratitude for her. I do not know of her struggles as a Mother, the challenges she faced, but I am certain, that she had her share. I don’t think I could have fulfilled the responsibility that was given to her, to raise the son of God, but I am the chosen mother for my sweet children. I do not know what the future will hold for them, but my hope is that they too, can grow strong in spirit, being filled with wisdom, and have the grace of God be with them.

I know the Heavenly Father sent His son to us, and with all that we can learn and know of the Saviors life, truly the most important aspects of his Life are the Atonement, His teachings, and His example.

But I also value the time we take as a family to talk about the birth of the Savior, for it’s as significant as his life and his death. The beginning of the Saviors life here on earth is truly a miraculous event, and provides lessons for us to learn about faith, humility, the nature of God, and more. I know that the spirit of Christmas can be felt in learning to truly give of ourselves, as the Savior did, any time of year.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

*******************************************



On that note, I had a wonderful Christmas. I received some very thoughtful gifts, and gave some {I hope} to Kyle, my children and family. I love my new apron, new shoes, and my husband, who's shopping for shirts was awesome. As a family, we made out like bandits, spoiled rotten. the toys, food storage, swimming pool, and games and movies and toys, and clothes, and books, and toys, and pjs, and money, and toys . . . . . . . . . . .

SPOILED ROTTEN were we.

We also received a hoard of neighborhood treats and gifts. So thoughtful are our neighbors, and I would hate to think of ever leaving this little neighborhood. I think we are surrounded by the most generous and kind people I have ever met.

And thus, our 2009 year will end. It has brought a new baby, a few hospital visits, a vacation, uncounted splendid visits with family and friends, box office hits we have enjoyed, church parties we laughed at, singing together as a family in church, a thousand plus photos of the happenings in our life, good health, Landon's stainless steel tooth, a toothless Cate and Brooklyn {teeth are coming and going like mad here}, Jocelyn's skirts still reign, some great birthdays, anniversaries, a trip to Yellowstone, and more! We have hope that the new year will be just as great, if not better. And if not, come what may, and we will love it.

Comments

Camille said…
I am so glad you shared your talk. I am sad I missed it.

Sounds like you had an excellent Christmas!

Happy New Year!
Erika said…
Thanks for posting your talk! Your thoughts on the Savior, and Mary were beautiful. You're such a great speaker. You and Kyle both actually.

Glad you had a great Christmas! You guys have had a busy/productive 2009! Best wishes for an even better year to come!

xoxoxo
Erika
It is fun to be spoiled, isn't it? Great job on your talk! We had to leave so quickly, I didn't get a chance to tell you.
Here's to 2010 being the best year ever!
Larsen said…
your talk was amazing, not only in its delivery, but in its content as well. i knew i could trust you to do a good job. thank you. here's to 2010!!
-kyle