Hungry? SPOILER ALERT


So these consumed me for about 10 days.  I was shocked to find myself in the world of Panem, and engrossed in another book series.  I really  don't read.  I can count on both hands the number of books I have actually read I think.  But, using the same trick Dana used on me for The Twilight Series, I was intrigued by Kambria and then begged her for them.  Silly me.  I think I wasn't really aware that it was a war story that I was reading.  More Schindler's List than These Is My Words.  I kept wanting the love story to supersede the war.  Not the case at all, but most people probably knew that it wouldn't do that.  

Kambria told me that those who read the books back to back, as I did, experienced something different than those who had to wait.  I certainly did, but in the end, after thinking it though and though, I loved them.  The story and experiences of Katniss and Peeta are, (along with the rest of the characters experiences) are abrasive, harsh, devastating, scary, and mature in content, along with extremely violent, especially compared to the world of Forks, which had it's own growing level of violence and fear.  But I don't have a vivid mind when I am reading.  I can't picture faces or places, even with detailed description.  I cheat, and google actors and models to get a picture in my head! So I wasn't disturbed by images of violence or blood that were rampant in this series.  Thankfully.  (And a big kudos to Kambria for warning me it was like that.)


I found this in my quick search, and I wish I would have had it while I was reading.  It's not perfect and I am sure there are many who disagree with how it's drawn up, but I don't care.  I couldn't ever really picture it and I can't remember what each district provided and was known for.  This at least gives me an idea!  Post World War III thinking helps you to dream up how devastated the world could really be- no running water, power, food, fields, stores, etc. making it completely believable that even in the lush areas of the South, things wouldn't grow well or wild game could be scarce. 
I had never pictured 12 on the ocean at all, but other than that, it's pretty workable for me.  I had always pictured the Capital in the middle, but I do think the book said it wasn't vulnerable on all sides...  So if you put 12 where 8 is, it works for me.  The Capital lies on the other side of mountains here, making it quite a fortress.  And I pictured 2 where 7 is, so with that change it works even better for me. And I love 13's placement.  Far away from everything and safe looking.  Who knows.


They are making the first book into a film, due out this next year, and I am not sure how they can stick to the book and have it not be R rated.  Guess we will see.   They haven't cast the film's cast yet but fans have voted, and this was what I found on one quick google search.  Fans of the book have picked these guys and gals to represent these characters, and I think they work. 
(At first glance, one girl and two guys means a love triangle, but it so wasn't like that. Close, but never quite the way I thought it would be.) 


I never pictured Gale so hot and steamy in my mind when I read, but I think Gaspard is my mental version of Gale. He even looks like he could go native on you and a complete soldier.  As for Peeta, well this guy Alex looks like he could really grow on you.  Add his clean looks and strong jaw line to his kindness, genuine adoration for Katniss, his talent with words and he will be as hot as ever.  As for Katniss, this girl Kaya, in the photo--looks just right to me.  Guess she is exactly what I had in mind for Katniss. She looks troubled a bit even here, and the braid--did they pose her for this as a photo shoot?  She looks like she could be a wreck and not pretty at all if out in the wild for a few days, and yet could clean up and be drop dead gorgeous, but only with a team of help, right??!!!

 As for the others, I had thought of Kristin Chenoweth as Effie.  I love Kristin!  Cinna is a character I hadn't ever pinned down in my mind, but Hugh Dancy is great for Cinna.  Handsome, and able to carry off the Cinna persona I think.  I am sure that these people wont' be cast, which is fine.  I also found as I read they weren't as young as portrayed in the books.  I always pictured Katniss as 17, or so, and Peeta as 21, even though I knew they were supposed to be much younger.  these actors don't look that young, which supports my minds effort to concoct a picture of them. Here is who they have:
Katniss Everdeen – Kaya Scodelario
Peeta Mellark – Alex Pettyfer
Gale Hawthorne – Gaspard Ulliel
Rue – Madison Pettis
Haymitch Abernathy – Hugh Laurie
Primrose Everdeen – Elle Fanning
Cinna – Hugh Dancy
Effie Trinket - Kristin Chenoweth






















With that, my friends:

Comments

The G-5+2 said…
I think 12's placement makes perfect sense. That area of the country is pretty wooded and I think they do actually mine for coal in the Appalachian Mountains. I do agree that 2 seems like it should have been right next to the Capital, but I don't remember what 7 produced so it is hard to say. Thanks for the map it was interesting.
Mary C. said…
I haven't read any of these books and am not really into these "types" of books, but I can see now why my friend was so mad that her daughter's 5th grade teacher was reading these to her class...sounds really violent.
Camille said…
Ok so all I have done is read these books but your post has left me wanting to research it a little more online. And I will be so sad if the movies are rated R. But, in all reality they are violent and that usually means R.

Gale is so not what I pictured. The Gale I pictured is way MANLY. The Petta is perfect and HOT. =) and Katniss is perfect too. I will have to find a better Gale.
Chels said…
Just want you to know that I skipped this post haha. Thanks for the spoiler alert. Saved me cause I want to read these soon:]