Our Own Homeward Bound Story

  
 
Where to start. In the fall of 2001, Kyle was gone alot for soccer.  A LOT.  So I told him I wanted a cat.  Or a kid.  We chose a cat at that time, not because we didn't want a kid, but it was cheaper.  We got Titan. He was just this tiny little black kitten.  We had had him for just a few days when we had some friends over to play cards and stuff. Five minutes after they left, they returned, holding a tiny black kitten.  They apologized that our kitten had escaped when they opened the door.  To our surprise and theirs, it wasn't Titan.  He was on the couch.  Where this other tiny black kitten came from is still beyond us, but we took her in. (All those sweet photos above are of her in 2001.)

She was pretty scraggly, needed some serious TLC and something to eat, and a name.  We provided all of that...

Six months later we had Titan and Kida fixed and de-clawed.  They were healthy and got some shots.  Years went by, and they adapted to the arrival of Catelyn really well.  We moved.  When Landon arrived, it put Titan over the edge some how and he had to be taken to the pound.  It was heartbreaking, even for Kyle.  But we just couldn't help him.  We tried and tried to help him out, but at some point, when you find cat doo and pee in your baby's bed, car seat, and swing, you have to let them go.  He was just a cat, remember.  I am an animal lover, but this behavior just wouldn't do.  

Kyle cried, as did I when we took him to the pound.

Weeks went by, and soon we were doing better about it and we built our home.  When we moved in, Kida stayed with Mac and Kelly.  Not so much because we didn't want her, but she loved their yard.  She was part indoor and outdoor cat.  She could catch mice and birds, despite her lack of claws.  Mac didn't mind her one bit, so we let her stay.  Kida has been a part of the family for 10 year nearly.  The kids have grown up with her, but have always thought she was Grandma's kitty.  Little did they know!

4 years passed.

Here's where the story gets a bit crazy.

We went on August 13 to get the pop-up trailer so that we would have it ready for the second half of our vacation to Utah.  We drove it home, put it half way up, and loaded it with thing we would need for swimming, but not for Yellowstone.  We put it down, locked it up and left for West Yellowstone.   The following Wednesday, the 17th, we took off with the pop up to Bear Lake and Utah.  We returned on the 20th.  When I got home, I called Mac. Our conversation went something like this:

I have some bad news, I said.

Me too, replied Mac.

I'll go first. I said. The pop-up reeks.  Like something died in it.  But Chad and Kyle have searched it over and over and have come up empty handed.

Silence.

Slowly Mac replied, I haven't seen Kida in a week or so.  I think we know now.  We will be over in a few minutes.

We searched the pop up again, turning up nothing.  We returned the pop up to their home and thought nothing more of it.

Until August 30.  Upon arriving home, with the kids in tow, I saw two black cats in our back yard.  I absent-minded-ly thought about Titan and Kida.  Ah, my two cats.  But it's not them, obviously.

Until it wasn't so.  I got out of the car and looked at the one sleek, smaller black cat and though, that sure looks like Kida.  Nah.  I look again, and then call out, Kida?  She seriously whipped her head around, trotted up to me, and as I scooped her up, she let out a meow and then began licking me.

So I called Mac again with a big You are never gonna believe this!

Somehow, on August 13th, Kida survived the ride from Mac and Kelly's to our home, ran off as soon as that pop up was stopped and survived nearly 3 weeks in our neighborhood until figuring out we lived there.  I can't imagine what kind of drama that would have been for her.  No regular food, where to find water, where am I?!?!
Jocelyn was all giddy with idea of getting a pet.  I told her she was just sleeping over, but by morning, we knew that Kida was staying here.  Mac was totally fine with that, and she is officially now our pet.
The kdis lvoe her, and so do we.  We always have.  Don't let Kyle fool you.  Even he likes to snuggle with her.

She is older now, and tolerates the kids the best she can.  Brooklyn and Jocelyn scare her off more than Landon and Catelyn, which is to be expected, as they try to play with her and the older two let her be.

Kida truly seems so happy to be here.  She continues to lick me whenever I hold her.  Just a quick lick or two, but her way of saying I love you.  Cat's usually only lick their food and they babies.  So to have a cat lick you is how they communicate they are about you.  When I think about it, I have always been her "mom" and she probably wondered why we left her at Mac's.  Oh well.  

She's home now.

See for yourself:
 

Comments

Krystal said…
That is quite the story. It seems like you guys always have the craziest stories. Looks like the kids love her!
Awwww...... How sweet!!!! I was thinking about those cats a while back.
Anonymous said…
What a cute story Gina, I'm glad it all worked out for the best.
That is amazing! I can't believe you guys have a pet and it was already your pet!! It will take me a minute to adjust.



Ok. I'm over it.
Welcome home kitty. :)
Camille said…
What a story. Glad you have your cat back and the kids love her. It is really amazing in fact.