The Fire

So I don't have any of my own photos, but I stole my moms!  The straw stack behind Lisa's home out on the farm was set on fire last night around 3:30 am.  We were one of six attacks on straw stacks to be hit last night.  I don't know if everything that was lit on fire was straw, but my mom seemed to think it was, and not hay or property.
Around 3 am, firetrucks went north of our house to put out a fire a neighboring farmer. Ab out a mile north of us.  When they past our home, we weren't' on fire yet, within the hour though a policewoman saw the fire, sent in a dispatch, and pounded on Lisa and Lee's house waking everyone up.

Firetrucks arrived at our home around 4:00 am.  (My mom suspects they came straight from the neighbors.)  One fireman did say some of them came from the station near the airport.  My mom left the scene at 6:45 and they were still going.  It's now near to 10 am, and everyone is gone and the smoke lingers.  There are some smoldering fires. But they aren't threatening. 




I have done up a little art work for this.  They YELLOW is our straw stack, and you can see the four green blocks indicating the 50 ton of hay too.  All that yellow and those 4 green blocks are gone.  My dad and cousin Jake, seem to think there were about 75 one ton bales of straw.  Yes, 75 tons.  There was also 50 ton of hay.  For us it was half and half.  It was large enough fire that the tree closest to the straw is also a gonner, though it might make it.  trees are interesting that way.  You can see how it could have easily drifted and taken out the  rest of the hay (green) leading to the shed or the fencing where the cows are...  Or it could have caught the trees and traveled closer to the house. 


Brad Pettingill, who is our friend, in the bishopric with Kyle, and fireman was on the scene as they spent a few hours trying to contain and eliminate the threatening fire.  My mom said it was so hot, you couldn't stand close enough to feel the fire's warmth, as it was just too hot.  Melt-your-leather-boots hot.

The news is covering the stories HERE and HERE.

More of this to come, as they unravel the mess.  I do know they have someone in custody, and we don't know he is the one who did it or not, but I doubt we will ever see retribution in regards the the loss of straw.

Let me quickly mention that STRAW is the remnants of WHEAT after harvest.  It is literally the straw like sticks left after the kernels at the top are removed.  It is then cut down and baled, used for bedding animals, mostly.  It is not food, but a starving cow will nibble on it.

HAY, also know as alfalfa, is a green leafy plant that is cut down and baled in the same manner, for feed.  The cost difference between a bale of straw and a bale of hay is significant, though I couldn't tell you right now what to expect the cost to be.

I just feel my heart aching for my dad.  And for all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and beloved animals out at the farm.  It truly could have been worse.  I feel very grateful that the Lord saw to it that no one was harmed, and I am grateful for good men like Brad who go to the rescue.

Okay, I think I got most of the story.

 
 

Thanks, Brad and crew! 
This is the second time Brad has come to the rescue out on the farm.
  He is the one on the right.
 
 

I wasn't emotional about it until I saw this photo and the others, and had to see my
Grandpa, Uncle Lee and Dad, and other watching, helpless as the fire burned.
 
 

My mom went back now that the sun is up and got some daylight shots.


   

What a mess.

Comments

Tara H said…
Wow! So sorry for your families loss! That's terrible, but very glad the hay and other structures didn't go down and no one was hurt.
What a nightmare. I'm glad it wasn't any worse and that your family is safe. But what a stupid waste. Not nice.
Matt and Jessie said…
I am so sorry! I saw this on the news this morning but I had no idea it was your dad. Such a senseless act! I am glad that everyone is okay, but seriously it makes me mad! Why are people so mean and destructive!! If they need help with clean up or whatever, let us know. I just hope that they figure out who is responsible for this nonsense!!
Man, I'm so sorry for you and your family. Hopefully they'll catch all involved & kick them in the hiney!
Kimberly said…
Sorry to hear about your families fire. I heard this story on the news but hoped it wasn't that bad. Sounds like someones dumb decision has caused alot of trouble for others. So this is also the first time I have looked at your blog it's super cute. I'm going to go look at your photography one now. I loved the spooky music.
SeeingSautters said…
Gina, That really stinks! My heart goes out to your family. Really makes you wonder why people get a thrill off of something like that. I really hope they get caught. Candace
Camille said…
Heartbreaking!! What an awful thing to do. I am glad everyone is OK and no one got hurt.
Amber said…
Awww- that's terrible. One of my worst fears. Good luck with everything!
Karen said…
Gina,
I am so sorry for you loss. As a previous dispatcher, aside from child neglect graffiti/arson was by far my biggest pet peive-so pointless and wasteful and above all, selfish! I'm so sorry your family had to suffer this great loss because of it! I'm glad Brad was on the scene as well. He was one of my personal fav's. We will be thinking of you and you are in our thoughts and prayers! *hugs*
cardwellclan said…
Oh wow, I can't believe how that would feel for your dad. I am sorry, that is a crazy thing to set a fire on that after so much work, like you explained. Stink.
Diana said…
Oh my gosh, Gina! I am so sorry! How awful!
Erika said…
That makes me ill, Gina! I'm sad for your parents! Some people have no class at all.
Cindy said…
Thanks Gina for posting this--you and JJ both did a great job with getting the story out there! I obviously haven't had a chance to blog yet and now I'm not sure I need to. (my readers are my family so....)Anyway, as I told JJ-all that's left of the drama of the fire is the cleanup which will hopefully get mostly done today. I'm still feeling devastation for Curtis's grandparents (who raised him) 3 out of the 6 were their friends and neighbors haystacks. Sad
Cortnie said…
So sorry Gina. I hope they find who did it, not that it will fix anything, but at least they won't be doing it anymore if they did find them. Does your dad have insurance that covers anything like this?
Erin Ellsworth said…
awful. it makes me sick, not just the $ involved but all the hard work. i love all the idaho farmers, and get so mad when this kid of stuff happens. sending my love...