So, I have been writing. As in writing a book.
Yeah, I wasn't gonna say much, but it's just not my personality to be quiet about my world and what I am doing. I know myself well enough to know that I become a bit obsessive in my hobbies and this one is truly a whole new world. Plus I like the pressing weight of my friends asking "How's it coming?" and "So, I was thinking that _________ should __________ in your book."
I am reading books called "The First Five Pages" and "On Writing" and "Writing the Breakthrough Novel" and looking at an online class....that I am *dying* to take. And though they are ruining my experiences of reading other fiction stuff, it's all good. Good stuff to think about, and incorporate if I can.
Reading these books on writing should be awful, but I'll be honest. I can't put the d#%* books down! I keep reading a chapter or two at a time, trying to let the information soak in. Adverbs and sound, diction and pacing...characterization and hooks! WHO KNEW!
Thanks to a few published authors out there, their books have given me courage and a sustaining feeling that if they can do it, so can I. Thanks to one of my favorite authors, Donna Hatch, I feel totally empowered to at least try! There is a fun story about how this happened to me. Very Twlight-ly. Almost. {Another time.} And though I am no Stephenie Meyer, and I am not trying to become another Mormon Mommy Author, I have to write this story. It's mine to tell.
There is no going back. The story has come to life in my head, with characters snatching up my attention at all times of the day, and confiscating my dreams a bit too. I know I am meant to write this story, even if it's just for me and a few of my "FANS".
You know who you are. And I love you.
Start date was Jan 28, 2011. I don't have a deadline, but I have a word count goal. 100,00 words. Somewhere around there you end up with approximately a 300 page book. Though I have NO INTENTIONS of disclosing my story on this blog, I have set up a private blog that I am using to compile character profiles, and ideas, and the like. If I can truly come up with a manuscript of such length, with a excellent story line and quality writing to boot, then, and only then, when I feel it's the very best I can do, will I consider submitting it for publication. But becoming published is the same as trying to become a movie star. Really.
One of my books indicated that it's not uncommon for agents and editors to receive 20 manuscripts a day. A DAY. And after spending an hour in any library or in a Barnes and Noble, you truly feel like a grain of sand on the beaches.
What could I possibly write that hasn't been written?
What could I share that is worthy of being a hardback?
What makes my story so special?
Nothing.
I'm what will make it special. And whether my talents include writing or not, it doesn't matter. I'm pouring a little bit of me onto a few pages. I am writing it for me. And a few of my FANS, like I said. And that, is all that matters.
I have been truly surprised at myself, and grateful for supporting friends and a loving husband --who may have rolled his eyes at me-- but then started planning his retirement around my success as an author.
Bless his heart, he really believes I am capable of writing a Best Selling Novel.
Yeah, I wasn't gonna say much, but it's just not my personality to be quiet about my world and what I am doing. I know myself well enough to know that I become a bit obsessive in my hobbies and this one is truly a whole new world. Plus I like the pressing weight of my friends asking "How's it coming?" and "So, I was thinking that _________ should __________ in your book."
I am reading books called "The First Five Pages" and "On Writing" and "Writing the Breakthrough Novel" and looking at an online class....that I am *dying* to take. And though they are ruining my experiences of reading other fiction stuff, it's all good. Good stuff to think about, and incorporate if I can.
Reading these books on writing should be awful, but I'll be honest. I can't put the d#%* books down! I keep reading a chapter or two at a time, trying to let the information soak in. Adverbs and sound, diction and pacing...characterization and hooks! WHO KNEW!
Thanks to a few published authors out there, their books have given me courage and a sustaining feeling that if they can do it, so can I. Thanks to one of my favorite authors, Donna Hatch, I feel totally empowered to at least try! There is a fun story about how this happened to me. Very Twlight-ly. Almost. {Another time.} And though I am no Stephenie Meyer, and I am not trying to become another Mormon Mommy Author, I have to write this story. It's mine to tell.
There is no going back. The story has come to life in my head, with characters snatching up my attention at all times of the day, and confiscating my dreams a bit too. I know I am meant to write this story, even if it's just for me and a few of my "FANS".
You know who you are. And I love you.
Start date was Jan 28, 2011. I don't have a deadline, but I have a word count goal. 100,00 words. Somewhere around there you end up with approximately a 300 page book. Though I have NO INTENTIONS of disclosing my story on this blog, I have set up a private blog that I am using to compile character profiles, and ideas, and the like. If I can truly come up with a manuscript of such length, with a excellent story line and quality writing to boot, then, and only then, when I feel it's the very best I can do, will I consider submitting it for publication. But becoming published is the same as trying to become a movie star. Really.
One of my books indicated that it's not uncommon for agents and editors to receive 20 manuscripts a day. A DAY. And after spending an hour in any library or in a Barnes and Noble, you truly feel like a grain of sand on the beaches.
What could I possibly write that hasn't been written?
What could I share that is worthy of being a hardback?
What makes my story so special?
Nothing.
I'm what will make it special. And whether my talents include writing or not, it doesn't matter. I'm pouring a little bit of me onto a few pages. I am writing it for me. And a few of my FANS, like I said. And that, is all that matters.
I have been truly surprised at myself, and grateful for supporting friends and a loving husband --who may have rolled his eyes at me-- but then started planning his retirement around my success as an author.
Bless his heart, he really believes I am capable of writing a Best Selling Novel.
Comments
:O) can't wait to read it.