Monday, May 23, Medical Mayhem


*nervous shuffling of feet*


*sigh of frustration, deep breath*

*just type*

 
I try not to complain.  I really do.  

But I admit: I've complained off and on to my sweetie and to my parents that my wrist has been bothering me for months.  MONTHS.  The last few weeks however have seemed worse and I have complained more about increasing pain.  Like to the point of daily saying "it's hurting again...."

I am guessing it's been bothering me for about 6-10 months.  I thought maybe it was arthritis or carpal tunnel.  But I'm not old enough for that, am I? 

Don't answer that.

So, Kyle and I finally decided it was time to have it looked at.  I had an appointment with Dr. Biddulph on Monday, May 23.  After a long wait, and an x-ray, it was determined I would need an MRI.  Structurally my wrist is great, with no signs of arthritis.  He was 90% sure I had a Ganglion Cyst, but it's no visible, so he wasn't sure what to think, and that it could be something else.  He also said, he didn't want to do Christopher Columbus surgery to see what was going on in there...so....MRI.

They were able to get in for that at 6 pm that night.  It was either that or Friday, when all my family was coming for the weekend.  I took the Monday night slot. It was able to show us the tendons, cartilage, etc. and indeed did confirm that I have a Ganglion Cyst.  Lucky me, I fall into the 10% of people with cysts that take root deep inside.  It's growing up between the tendon, ripping it to pieces. 

I have a torn tendon that I am painfully living with, even as I type.  It hurts to bend my wrist and used it to lift or carry things.  Blah, blah, blah.... So basic jobs such as typing, lifting a glass 9x13 pan with one hand, hurts.  I am not confessing to being a strong person, but doing a simple push up, playing horsey with my kids and removing a casserole from the oven with one hand I CAN DO.  But not so much these days.

THIS IS NOT MY WRIST!  But that is where mine is located, but I have no bump to show off.
Since it's deep in there, I will need General Anesthetics and have to have surgery to remove the cyst and repair the damage it's done. Last time I had surgery, which I've only done once, I was sick for a few days after from being put out and threw up for days.  It was awful.  So, needless I am not excited about this at all.

*Sigh*

I cringe at the thought of them digging into my wrist, and the possible complications.  It's my hand.  My right hand, the one I use...all-the-time.

I will be in a No-Water Brace thing for 10 days.  So don't come around.  I may not shower at all those few days.

Then 4-6 weeks of a Velcro strap brace.

I want to do it ASAP, so it doesn't interfere with the few hot days we get in July and August...but it can interrupt Marcia Lynn McClure weekend either, which is June 18th.  With that, I am hoping we can do it on June 7th.  I won't know until I get a hold of the doc on Tuesday.  They are closed for the long Memorial Weekend.  (Which by the way, I have a LONG post on that!  Coming soon!)



See this pretty bracelet? It's the most expensive kind I have ever owned.  Dana commented since we are done having kids, that this is my donation financially to the medical world.  I laughed, but seriously?  Sheesh....

Healthy left wrist....sporting awesome bracelet.


I came home that night, Monday night after the MRI, and was clearing a few last dishes away and putting the rest of dinner away, and I found myself cleaning up this mess.  I took the half full pitcher of red Koolaid in my weakening right hand, and as I put it on the counter faltered, clipping the bottom of the pitcher on the edge of the counter, and I ended up with Koolaid all over.  And I mean all over.  It was covering the counter, while dripping into the closed drawers of silverware and dish towels.  It ran down the side of the fridge and under it.   

*GASP!*

I was frustrated and tired and had had a long, emotionally exhausting day that I just laughed AFTER I swore.

And then I complained.  Damn wrist.


*shrug, cast eyes heavenward, offer silent prayer*

Comments

Beth said…
When you go in to have surgery, let them know you get very sick from the anesthesia, they can give you something in your iv to help. My mom and I both suffer bad from anesthesia, so we know! Good luck!
Judy said…
Oh! That stinks! When you go in for surgery tell them you get sick. There is something they can give you. I threw up all day with first surgery and not at all with the second because they gave me the miracle drug. Good Luck
Ugh. Double Ugh. Sorry sis. Wish you didn't have to have surgery. But I'm sure the dr will do a great job and you'll be so happy you did it! You didn't say what DAY your surgery is? We have mom to blame for our cysts. :(

Thanks for hosting us this weekend, we had a blast. and thoroughly enjoyed the new bathroom and new door on "our" room and the new blinds :)

I am also now regretting not doing glitter nails :(

keep us informed on the surgery!!! and it's true. you never complained about your arm. Just the past 2 weeks have been the first time you've ever mentioned it to us...you're a toughy!
Erika said…
Ouch! I can totally relate to feeling too old too young. I was diagnosed with arthritis 23 years ago. Luckily mine has somewhat stablized, but it can be tricky from time to time. Ripping tendons does not sound fun. I hope you can have your surgery done quickly so you can enjoy your summer sooner! Please keep me posted when you set a date, so we can help out with dinners and/or whatever else you may need! We want to help!!! Take care of yourself, girl, and no more lifting koolaid or casserole dishes!!
Camille said…
Whatever I can do to help let me know. What a bummer. Hopefully it will heal quickly. We have summer fun that needs to be had. :)
Loren & Autumn said…
It's amazing the little things that can cause us so much pain, frustration, and money. I hear you on getting sick. Good luck! I am sure everything will go smoothely, and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.
Anonymous said…
That bites Gina, I have one on my left hand too, it comes and goes with pain. Good luck with everything!
Amber said…
Awwww- sorry to hear your woes. Weird- I have probs with my wrist too. I'm thinking mine is corpal tunnel (no idea how to spell that!). since mine hasn't escalated to the point of yours I keep living with the pain.
Chels said…
Oh man, Ive been out of the blogging loop for a bit and had no idea. I really hope everything goes ok and you have a quick recovery. If you need anything just call.
Cortnie said…
So Sorry Gina! Dang it, that's no fun at all. I hope that everything goes okay. Please let me know when it is and if your kids want to come and play, or if you need laudry folded or your floor mopped, or swept, or ......holy cow there are a lot of things you need two wrists for.....you get the picture, I'm here to help so you better call me!!!
Keep me posted