This is going to be a boring post for you all.
I'd stop reading if I were you.
No, really, it's not going to be a fun one.
Still here? You're crazier than I thought.
That's why we're friends. I knew I liked you.
The following are a bunch of emails that were exchanged between Susan Lanier, the Event Coordinator for the Desert Dreams Writers Conference and my friend, Destiny who is coming with me to the Event, myself and an unnamed author, who I didn't name cause I thought she wasn't very nice really. She was nice, and honest, but not very warm, if that makes sense.
At the beginning of this journey, Destiny registered and PAID for me to go. She was adamant that I was going to go with her, and to ensure that, she paid for me, and told me I could pay her back.
She then had to fill out my information, which we did together, over the phone.
One of the questions was whether we would need vegan meals, and you could check the box Yes or No. The next was : "Do you with to participate in the book signing?"
Well, yeah. Of course we do!
Then the following happened.
Destiny,
My treasurer just contacted me to
let me know that she received two payments via PayPal from you. Are you paying
for someone else at the same time or did you mistakenly pay twice? Let me know
so we can get your money back to you right away if there’s been an error.
Susan
Susan,
Thanks for checking. But I did
indeed mean to pay twice. I payed for my friend, Gina Larsen, and myself. I hope
that the payment is linked to her registration also. I wondered if there would
be some confusion.
Thanks,
Destiny
Destiny,
Ah – I was wondering about Gina.
I definitely wondered because her registration came through at the same time as
the second payment, so I suspected. I was going to give it through today to see
if she paid then contact her about her payment. Not a problem. I’ll let the
treasurer know and I’ll credit it to her. She’s all registered. I’ll get her a
confirmation ASAP.
Thanks!
Susan
Susan,
Gina still hasn't received a registration confirmation email. Is she registered? She was wanting to enter the contest, and so we wanted to make sure that everything is in order.
Thank you,
Destiny
Gina still hasn't received a registration confirmation email. Is she registered? She was wanting to enter the contest, and so we wanted to make sure that everything is in order.
Thank you,
Destiny
Destiny,
She is registered. Enter away. I do the emails personally and I won't be at
my home computer until tomorrow, but everyone is tracked by the database. I know
she's all taken care of and notified our treasurer.
Susan
Gina,
I just sent your welcome letter and forgot to attach the
book-signing form. You indicated you are unpublished, but you also indicated you
will be signing books. I’m going to attach the form for you. Are you published?
We want to make sure we get you an “author” ribbon if you are published (or will
be by 4/27).
Susan
Susan,
Thank you so much for
sending my confirmation email and welcome letter! Destiny {Gutke} and I are
very excited to be joining this years Conference.
It's our first time, so
when Destiny was filling out our information, she clicked that I would be
participating in the book signing. I think she thought it meant: Would we want
to be on the RECEIVING end of that? {of course!} and not the SIGNING side
{still, WE WISH!}.
Please laugh at us, and
then remove me from the list of published authors who will be signing books on
Saturday. I am not published yet. That's why we're coming.... However, I
think I'm pretty fun, and will gladly sign my name to anyone's book, napkin or
arm if they wish it...
Certainly, I WISH I was
published and someday I will have that dream come true and will call you back,
and say, "Remember me? The gal that was signing everyone's napkins?"
Thank you so much, and
truly, we can't stand the wait!
Gina Larsen
Gina,
Oh, I’m really looking forward
to meeting you! I love your sense of humor. Believe me, in the midst of all the
madness getting this pulled together about now, I can use a good chuckle and you
made me laugh out loud. Please make sure you introduce yourself to me. I’ll be
the one running around like a chicken with my head cut off. J
We are really glad you’ll be
joining us! I really believe you will take a lot away from
it.
Susan
Destiny,
Oh. my. heck.
THANKS for messing
up.
THANK YOU.
Gina
Now, at this point, weeks go by and then I begin to reconsider whether or not I am up for all this. Based on when you registered and paid, you might get a 10 minute editor/agent appointment, aside from the top five winners of the writing contest who get a 30 minute appointment with the editor/agent of their choice.
That author I mentioned previously, wrote me saying:
In regards to appointments, "How much of the story is written?" would be my first question. Is it possible
that you would have a clean, completed manuscript ready to send (if requested)
within 6 months or so after the appointment? AND do you have at least a clean,
professional partial – a synopsis and 3 first chapters/50 pages—ready to send
immediately after the conference appointment?
If the answer to either of those questions is NO, then I would suggest
that it’s too soon to be thinking of sending out your work to editors and/or
agents. You want them to see your best work – when it’s ready to be evaluated
for the market. Sending them less-than-ready will simply end in a quick
rejection and possibly lose your chance with them.
So, if you have nothing complete and nothing ready – but have a great
story idea – then cancel the appointment and get to the writing! If you have at
least a partial ready and could complete the manuscript and have it ready to
submit within 6 months, then keep the appointment.
My suggestion to new writers when attending a conference that has a
number of editors and agents attending and go to the panels – there you can get
a flavor of who’s looking for what and a bit of their personalities, too, to
decide if you could work with them. Appointments are really for those ready to
send in materials. I think too many take appointments too early, leading to that
80-90% number who don’t submit afterwards..?
Does that help? Keep that old advertising phrase from a vineyard in
mind – ‘we will sell no wine before its time’ – you should submit none of your
work before its time – complete, polished, professional and with ideas for a
followup work or the next book. Publishing is not about being a one-hit wonder –
so you’ll need to have additional works in mind or in process too.
Let me know if you have any other questions? And, oh, this is purely my
opinion and others may/would advise you otherwise.
And then she also said,
Honestly – as a new writer, I don’t think taking an appointment is a good idea
until the finished book is in hand. Maybe if it was done, but still had
revisions to be done, sure. But, if you’ve not yet completed a manuscript –
especially one 100K words long – you should wait until it’s complete.
Lots of things in real life get in our way of writing – especially at
the beginning when it’s very low on our list of priorities. So, even with the
best intentions, it’s possible that you won’t finish this within 6 months or
even within a year.
Work on finishing it and get some contest or critique feedback when you
have 3 chapters/50-60 pages polished. See if the story is following your planned
synopsis or if the synopsis needs to be changed....?
An agent is not going to take on a client these days who has not
completed the book. A publisher is not going to buy an unfinished book from a
new author. So, finish the book before you try to sell it. Make sure you have
100K words in you and a story to tell first.
That’s my advice – you have a good start but have to prove to yourself
that you can finish it. Once it’s done, you’ll have options. For now, learn the
market, sharpen your writing skills and storytelling. Keep writing.
Well, I was really nervous after reading her thoughts on the idea of taking an appointment, even though I didn't TAKE it, it was GIVEN to me. I feel that this lady had more perspective and experience to draw on, as she is published, therefore, I think she has a valid point. I should probably cancel. Therefore, I sent an email off to Susan, saying:
Susan,
I am thinking it would be best for me to CANCEL my editor/agent appointment.
I'm not sure it's wise for me to pitch a story that isn't finished. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and I am glad that I entered the contest. (insert a slight sarcasm voice here:) Now, if the editor/agents are just dying to meet me, well, then by all means! I'll meet them AND sign all those napkins for whomever! Or if you are having too many new writers/published writers drop out because they're all signed and contracted with other publishing companies, then I'll fill in for you. It's the least I can do. I wouldn't want you to have all these empty slots to fill.
Okay, but seriously, I'll cancel. Give my spot to a more deserving writer.
I am thinking it would be best for me to CANCEL my editor/agent appointment.
I'm not sure it's wise for me to pitch a story that isn't finished. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and I am glad that I entered the contest. (insert a slight sarcasm voice here:) Now, if the editor/agents are just dying to meet me, well, then by all means! I'll meet them AND sign all those napkins for whomever! Or if you are having too many new writers/published writers drop out because they're all signed and contracted with other publishing companies, then I'll fill in for you. It's the least I can do. I wouldn't want you to have all these empty slots to fill.
Okay, but seriously, I'll cancel. Give my spot to a more deserving writer.
My story is raw and I
have only traveled down the writing road about a quarter of a mile, with a
million miles to go.
Heck, I might be an embarrassment to you, if you let me keep my appointment. And that is the last I want to do- embarrass you! I can pitch my story and all, but I'm not ready to send in even the first three chapters......
Heck, I might be an embarrassment to you, if you let me keep my appointment. And that is the last I want to do- embarrass you! I can pitch my story and all, but I'm not ready to send in even the first three chapters......
HUGS, and I'll see you
soon!
I can't wait to meet you!
I can't wait to meet you!
Gina
Well, Susan did have another perspective I hadn't considered. She wrote back:
Gina--
Why
don’t you keep your appointment for this reason – use it to talk to the
editor/agent? Seriously, go in and explain up front that you aren’t there to
pitch a book, because your book isn’t finished yet, but you wanted to use the
time to discuss the industry with her, her requirements, etc. Make it a
conversation. I’ve done that before and it really is a great opportunity. It led
to a request for a full manuscript after mine was complete. That led, in turn to
a request for a revision. We were very close to a sale. It didn’t happen, but I
was right there, on the edge, and it only came about because I chose to sit down
and discuss it with the editor. This was a big editor, too – a major publisher.
It’s a great opportunity.
I’ll
still cancel it if you want, but it’s your call… ??
Susan
So in turn, I wrote back again:
Susan,
Okay.
I've
felt like a ping pong ball all day over this very thing. I keep getting mixed
ideas on what to do, but! YOU ARE THE SMARTEST OF THEM ALL. I can chat it up.
I'll keep my appointment. Will you remind me who I requested, I should do some
homework on them, go in there all smartypantslike with
weapons like, "How long have you been drinking green tea? Since you started at
Harlequin?"
I'm in. I'll keep it.
I'm in. I'll keep it.
You
can be honest with me though, and admit that they're dying to meet
me.
*snort!*
Sorry,
got ice water in my nose laughing over that thought.
Seriously, there was a thread on here about main goals for the conference. Did you see mine?
Seriously, there was a thread on here about main goals for the conference. Did you see mine?
Goal
No. 1? Meet Susan Lanier.
Good Night girl! Get some rest. 4 weeks to go. It's going to fly by!
Gina
PS. If you are confident I won't burn a bridge with honesty, I'll do it.
Good Night girl! Get some rest. 4 weeks to go. It's going to fly by!
Gina
PS. If you are confident I won't burn a bridge with honesty, I'll do it.
She wrote back after that email. This lady is sooooo cool.
Gina,
OMG.
I can’t wait to meet you! You make me laugh every time I read your emails – and
trust me, it’s not easy with all of these things right now. I did see your
goals. I’m flattered. PLEASE make sure you find me.
You
requested Jenn Schober, Michelle Grajkowski, Rose Hilliard, Rebecca Strauss.
You
will be fine. You won’t make a fool of yourself. They are dying to meet you.
I’ve personally met Michelle several times. She is great – and LOVES to talk
about the industry. I’ve been emailing Jenn and she is adorable in her emails,
so I’m hoping I’m as impressed in person. The other two have been highly
recommended and actually have clients in Desert Rose. It will be a great
opportunity for you to simply relax and chat with them.
So,
Idaho – I’m a travel writer, I’ve traveled all over the world (I’ve been in
Thailand, Egypt, New Zealand just in the past few months) but I’ve never been to
Idaho. I have a chance to go to Sioux Falls in August. Should I go? Or should I
wait and see other parts of the state? You can tell me all about it and what I
need to see.
Susan
– and yes, I’m off to bed very soon. I’m exhausted.
Leading me to write to Destiny again:
Destiny,
I am so glad we have a
big invite to MEET this lady!
Gina
So as you can see, if you're still reading, that Susan and I have a little email thing going on. Today I emailed her in regards to clothes. (Asking her if she would post in the yahoo group something about what NOT to wear. I figure I am not the only one who is new to these writing conferences.) I had previously been told this in regards to clothes:
Conference clothes should be business casual – though that might be a bit more
laid-back in AZ than in the NYC-PHL-DC corridor! LOL!
My suggestions – never, NEVER wear jeans to the
meetings/workshops/meals parts of a conference unless they are clean and whole
and worn with a jacket... After hours - they’re fine if they’re clean and
whole. No sweat pants or shirts/athletic wear unless you’re in the health club
of the hotel or on your way there! Otherwise – nice pants, nice tops/shirts,
nice casual dresses, etc. No sneakers/athletic shoes.
Those are all IMHO.
Bless Susan's soul! She emailed me again. However does she have time to email me back, IS BEYOND ME!!!!
Gina,
I
so cannot wait to meet you!
Good
idea on the clothing. Also – did you read Bob Mayer’s book on the conference
that I sent out free to everyone? I am pretty sure he covers something about
conference wear in there. But, yes, I will talk about clothing in AZ
specifically. I also have some other conference info I’m posting this afternoon.
It’s totally insane right now. I have to tell you, it’s been fun emailing you.
It’s sort of a breath of fresh air. I’m writing under major deadline this week –
I’ve had 6 articles due to magazines – plus we’re pulling together everything to
send out to start doing the editor/agent appointments, finalizing the authors
for the book signing, I had to meet with the hotel to finalize all of the plans
there (which meant turning in room layouts, color plans for meals, menus, even
door signs for rooms), writing the program and getting it to the printer, and
I’m in the midst of redoing my own website (the work one at
wanderwithwonder.com). Am I insane? Don’t answer that. J
Okay,
back to your questions. We will let everyone know who they will be meeting with
in the next week or so. However, you won’t find out the exact time until you
check in at registration on Friday. The contest finalists will be notified by
email. Linda Style will notify the finalists and they will have a chance to
specify their editor/agent choices. The winner will be notified on Friday night
at the conference. We still have 2 agents who are a bit behind sending in
scores, so we are a bit behind announcing the finalists. It should be any
day.
As
for packing – in my travels I can usually only take a carry-on and I often have
to fit enough for 10-14 days. It’s always the shoes that kill me! J
Susan
Well, you better believe, I am going to go to that website and see if I can find a photo of her.....
Ah ha! Here she is. Wonder if she is currently blond or brunette. I'll ask...


Anyway, doesn't she seem like the nicest lady ever??
I think so.
I can't wait to go!
Comments