Larsen Family Reunion

So how do you like that I didn't take a single photo while we were away on our Annual Larsen Family Reunion?  Even my poor camera is feeling neglected since I've become wrapped up in writing!

So I'm inserting a few from LAST YEAR.  Sue me.

See, right here. Just one reason West Yellowstone /Yellowstone Nat'l Park are both amazing places to go.




We were able to leave early on Friday, because Kyle didn't have to work!  I think that helped us enjoy our arrival more, as it wasn't rushed or dark when we arrived!

We didn't have the Presidential Suite this year, and we all realized how completely spoiled we were last year, due to this year's apartment.  It did have the same 3 bed, 2 bath floor plan, but seriously, we're spoiled last year.  Still, this year's apartment had plenty of space.  We just missed last years cozy fireside, flat screen, massive table, king sized beds, separate and private laundry room, and fancy soft leather couches, and the double doors, oh and the overall warm tones of the room.... hee hee.

I think Kelly is pretty determined to get the Presidential Suite every time now, based on the sheer fact that he can if he books early enough.  Love that guy, 'cause he's smart and likes to plan ahead!

Mac brought more than enough sugar, and the kids tried hard to induce sugar comas right away, but we managed to keep them sane enough to swim nearly immediately upon arrival. Mac also brought yummy food, some good movies and plenty of Sudoku print-outs.

Ironically, this crew looks almost exactly the same this year as they did last year.
Even their coats are still the same.

We had great weather which provided lovely sledding, and this year there was a jump, which I think we all hit about 1 time to many.  My bones might still be bruised.... but it was a riot, nonetheless.

The Trading Post is a fun little store to visit there, with very VERY reasonable prices on EVERYTHING you might need or forget.  Like life jackets.  Yup, I forgot ours, so we bought 3 of them while we were there, along with a few floating things to play with.  I probably paid Walmart prices for everything, and it's all pretty darn good quality stuff.

On top of all that, we ate great food and played Bingo, which the kids love, and I still line my Skittles up in colors before we begin.  I think Mac thinks I'm a little too OCD when we play, but she never complains when I do stuff like that.  I'd like to think and I hope that I'm not a source of complaining for Mac and Kelly when we go!  I hope the only complaining that goes on sounds like this:

"I can't believe we only have 80 sq feet of kitchen space!"
"Are there really only 2 extra pillows per room?"
"Can you believe the hot tub only fits 20 people at a time?"



tried to did sneak in some quiet writing time while we were there, and I'm glad I did.  I was able to finish the last few pages of editing, and that meant when I got home, I could focus on actually REWRITING stuff, instead of marking it all up for revision.

The roads were clear and the weather wonderful, and the company delightful.

Catelyn- She did have kinda a rough weekend, but I keep reminding myself that she's caught in the middle of little and grown-up and has no one to play with when we go on trips like this.  She was obsessed with the card keys.  Both grandma and grandpa have got her hook on Sudoku.  She's so funny and silly sometimes!

Landon- He's still our little fish, who swam a lot, and I think he played his DS a little too much, but he's also only got three sisters to bug, so when he needs down time, I get it.  He was a good sport and enjoyed learning and playing Sudoku.

Jocelyn- She brought all 7 Dwarfs Strawberry Shortcake dolls to play with, and she did play with them!  I think it's funny, and I love that she loves them.  Grandma was pretty good to help her learn Sudoku too, but she's not quite as quick to learn as the other kids.  She'll get there though, don't kid yourself!

Brooklyn- Learned how to manage her life jacket this year.  It took lots and lots of practice, forcing, and her not knowing we'd let go for her to build up her courage, but she did AMAZING!  By the time we were ready to leave, she was floating around the whole pool with us at least 10 feet away at times.  We were pretty proud of her accomplishment, and come to think of it, I think all 4 kids have learned to manage themselves in PFDs in that same pool.

Kyle- Thought the whole ordeal was a relaxing and wonderful getaway, and I laughed.  Our perspectives are so different,  but it doesn't matter.

While it's a lot of work for Mac and I, and kids cry and fight, and we pack and unpack and wash clothes and such.... and it takes days, even weeks of preparation  the question boils down to this:
Were we happy to get away, be together and spend time together?  
 YES. 
 And that's all that matters.

Just so we're clear on RELAXING: I picture a warm sunny location, with no wind, the sound of the ocean or birds' song floating on the breeze, with me on a beach chair sprawled out in the sunlight, with a nice drink to nurse on and NO children for miles.  Not even ones that don't belong to me.   If you want to argue about this, feel free to call me.

Comments